For the period ending April 01, 2013 the total international rotary rig count was 1,301 up 33 rigs from the previous week. Compared to last year, there were an additional 76 rigs drilling for oil & gas, a net increase of 6.2 % year over year.
Rig Counts by Region
- The African Rig Count was up 8.70% this week, up 10 rigs from last week to 125 total rigs, representing an annualized change of 50.60%.
- The Asia/Pacific Rig Count was up 4.05% this week, up 10 rigs from last week to 257 total rigs, representing an annualized change of 3.21%.
- The European Rig Count was up 2.26% this week, up 3 rigs from last week to 136 total rigs, representing an annualized change of 15.25%.
- The Latin America Rig Count was down -1.83% this week, down 8 rigs from last week to 429 total rigs, representing an annualized change of -6.13%.
- The Middle East Rig Count was up 5.36% this week, up 18 rigs from last week to 354 total rigs, representing an annualized change of 11.32%.
| ||Rotary Rig Counts|| ||Change|| ||Change %|
|2013-04-01||Week Ago||Year Ago|| ||Weekly||Annual|| ||Weekly||Annual|
|Africa||125||115||83|| ||10||42|| ||8.70%||50.60%|
|Asia/Pacific||257||247||249|| ||10||8|| ||4.05%||3.21%|
|Europe||136||133||118|| ||3||18|| ||2.26%||15.25%|
|L America||429||437||457|| ||-8||-28|| ||-1.83%||-6.13%|
|Middle East||354||336||318|| ||18||36|| ||5.36%||11.32%|
|Total ||1,301||1,268||1,225|| ||33||76|| ||2.60%||6.20%|
International Rig Count Graphs
- The Baker Hughes Rotary Rig Counts are counts of the number of drilling rigs actively exploring for or developing oil or natural gas in the U.S., Canada and international markets. Baker Hughes has issued the rotary rigcounts as a service to the petroleum industry since 1944, when Hughes Tool Company began weekly counts of US and Canadian drilling activity. Hughes initiated the monthly international rig count in 1975.
- The oil and gas rig count, which is the number of rigs currently online, is widely regarded as an important indicator in assessing the health of the oil industry. It can give investors and companies an idea of current demand, as well as provide clues for the immediate future.
- U.S & Canadian rotary rig counts are updated weekly at 12:00 Central Time.
- International rotary rig counts are updated mid-month for the preceeding month.
- Rig Count data is provided by and copyright: Baker Hughes, Inc.